Friday, October 30, 2009

Still more Halloween stuff

A coworker of mine ordered two 6" pumpkin cakes (that is, cakes shaped like pumpkins, not cake tasting like pumpkin) for today.  It was an interesting challenge to make them, since I had to improvise a little bit.  My first plan was to make them with mini bundt pans, to produce mini versions of the cake pictured here.  Unfortunately, that had to change when I found out I couldn't get 6" bundt pans for less than $30 each.  Which, by the way, is outrageous.  So I had to do some last minute improvisation.

First thing I had to do was figure out if I was going to carve the pumpkins out of normal cake rounds or if I was going to shape the cake before baking.  Carving cakes seems to go best when the cake is frozen.  Considering my limited experience carving cakes (and limited time), I opted for the latter option.  This also gave me an excuse to use one of my new baking pans!



The pan on the left is essentially a metal bowl, and any oven-safe bowl will work for this.  Using one produces cakes like this:


which can then be stacked like this:


(Remember to carve a spot for the stem!)
frosted like this:



and topped with some of these:



to be made to look like this:



The stem, vine, and leaf were made of marshmallow fondant, and the rest was orange buttercream.  
I think it's cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment