Sunday, October 4, 2009

Boo!

It has been awhile, I realize, but to make up for it this post is going to include 2 baking forays!  So, without further ado:

First up were some mini cherry pies because the cooler weather as of late had me in the mood for pie.  I have used the recipe twice before, and it has always turned out very well.  For anyone looking for a go-to cherry pie, I highly recommend this one.  It has a nice tanginess to it-- not too sweet.  The different kinds of cherries add texture as well.  I'm a sucker for good cherry pie, I have discovered recently.


 
Anyway.  I admit that I cheated a little on this one-- rather than making the crust from scratch (which I can only muster the energy to do if I'm trying to impress someone) I used refrigerated pie crusts from the store.  This was, after all, just for me.  I used one pie crust and a half recipe of filling for these little guys.

 

It made just enough for four really mini pies (made in a muffin tin) and two slightly larger ones (in aluminum tart pans).   It was the perfect amount for a quick pie fix, and they were very easy.

Basic instructions:  Cut rounds out of pie crust and press into muffin tin.  Fill with a few spoonfuls of filling and top with additional crust if desired.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. 

I imagine this would work really well with quiche, too.  Pie as finger food!  What could be better?!


I will say, however, that these work better with smaller fruit.  The cherries in these were almost too big to fit tidily, so I would advise against things like blackberries or apples unless they were cut into smaller pieces.

Now: Cupcakes! 




A coworker of mine requested some ghost cupcakes for her daughter's birthday next week, so I got a start on them today.  The cupcake recipe is from Cook's Illustrated, which I have not tasted but they certainly smell amazing.   The frosting is orange Swiss Meringue Buttercream (my favorite!) and the ghosts are made of gumpaste. 

The cupcake recipe only makes 12, and apparently should not be doubled, so I have another 2 batches to make either tonight or tomorrow. 

So first, you make the cupcakes.  Then let them cool and frost with your favorite frosting.



Next, make some adorable ghosts!  I used storebought gumpaste, but fondant would work as well (and if you made marshmallow fondant it would taste better, too!). 



So first roll out your edible medium of choice, then use some kind of round cutter to cut discs of the desired size.  For these, I am using a small biscuit cutter to make adorable mini ghosts.



To do the eyes, I used an edible marker but royal icing or melted chocolate would work as well.



Once you cut the discs out, drape them over a lump of gumpaste/fondant (or you can try cotton balls) so they stiffen enough to stand up on their own.  Once they have stiffened, you can go ahead and plop them on top of your frosted cupcakes, like so:



They are kind of work intensive due the drying time and the fact that you can only make 12 at a time, but they certainly are cute!  I wish I had some extra that I could try, but no,  I must resist...

must resist....

No comments:

Post a Comment