Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas Oreo Truffles Part 1



These little cuties are for my office pot-luck next week, and they are inspired by the wonderful Bakerella.  First and foremost, the recipe:  Oreos, cream cheese, and chocolate.  How could one possibly go wrong?!

Secondly, the design:



I absolutely love these adorable Cake Pops that Bakerella whipped up, but the sticks can be cumbersome so I decided to modify the design and do them without the sticks.  Starting out I knew that mine could never be as adorable (or photographed as well!) as hers, but I did not let that dissuade me.


First you take the oreo and cream cheese mixture and form it into cones.



Once they are all shaped, freeze them until firm.



Melt some white melting wafers and dip the wide end of the cones into the chocolate, about 1/4 of the way up.  Shake off any excess chocolate and allow to dry.  I did this by making little foil supports to hold them upside down while the chocolate set.



Once the chocolate is completely set, melt some red wafers and dip the remaining exposed truffle into it.  Be sure to cover every seam!  Set right-side-up to dry.



While the red chocolate is still a little wet, place a small white candy on the top.  I used gumballs, but any candy will work so long as it is approximately round.


 

Finally, using a toothpick or knife, spread a thin coat of white chocolate over the bottom part of the hat (over the part of the sides already dipped in white chocolate--leave the bottom dry) and roll in sanding sugar to get that "fluffy" effect.




All done!




These were a little putzy, but they didn't take terribly long to make.  I made the cones last week and just kept them in the freezer until I decided to dip.  The covering and decorating process took less than an hour altogether.

I feel like even if they were tedious, the time investment really shows.  I would love to package these up in little boxes with bows-- how cute for the holidays! Stay tuned for Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment